Creamy Baked Potato Soup is one of my favorite comfort foods! This soup comes together quickly on the stove top, and is topped with all the baked potato toppings you love!
Goodness, this soup is one of my very favorite fall recipes.
When the weather gets cooler, this Potato Soup is definitely in our family’s rotation. And while I love my slow cooker and tend to make most soups in it, I made this one on the stove top and it was just as easy!
The trick to getting the perfect texture for this soup is an immersion blender. I love this soup blended, but with some chunks still visible.
An immersion blender for about a minute or so is perfect. Otherwise, a regular blender works well, too! Just put a few cups of soup at a time in the blender and pulse until you reach the desired consistency.
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Diced
- 2 Cups Milk (I used whole milk since it's what we usually have on hand)
- 2 Cups Broth (Chicken or Vegetable will work here)
- 4 Potatoes, Peeled and Cut into Chunks
- 1 Cup White Cheddar Cheese (plus more for topping)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 6 Slices Bacon, Diced, Divided
- Corn for Topping (if desired)
- Green Onion, Diced for Topping (if desired)
Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for approximately 5 minutes (until soft). Stir in garlic and continue to cook for one another minute. Whisk in flour and cook until golden, about 2 minutes.
It’s just hard to say enough good things about this soup.
And there are so many ways you can customize it! I’d love to hear your favorite way to make and serve this delicious comfort food.
Thanks so much for reading all about our favorite Baked Potato Soup. Have a wonderful day!